Training and Experience in:
- Atomic Absorption Spectrometry,
Perkin Elmer Corporation, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Energy Dispersive X-Ray Analysis,
Finnigan Corporation, Sunnyvale, California.
- Atomic Absorption/Graphite
Furnace, Perkin Elmer Corporation, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- North Carolina State Bureau of
Investigation, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms
Laboratory, Rockville, Maryland.
- Explosives Seminar FBI/ATF,
- Gunpowder and Primer Residue
Course, FBI Academy.
- Scanning Electronic Microscopy, (SEM)
McCrones, Chicago, Illinois.
- Gunshot Residue Seminar, FBI
Academy, Quantico, Virginia.
- Scanning Electron Microscopy
Operators Course, Gatan, Inc.
- SEM visits to the following
Tracor Northern Laboratory,
LeMont Scientific State College,
Kentucky State Police Laboratory,
LeHigh University / SEM Course,
Gatan Inc., Warrendale,
- Primer Residue by Atomic
Absorption Seminar, FBI Academy .
- CamScan Factory and Scotland Yard
Laboratory, London and Cambridge, England.
- Gunshot Residue and Scanning
Electron Microscopy workshop at SAFS, Raleigh, North Carolina,
presented by Robin Keeley, Scotland Yard Laboratory.
- Presented and/or published Gunshot
Residue articles at the following meetings:
American Academy of Forensic
Sciences, New Orleans
Electron Microscopy Society and
American, present a paper for Seichner/Israel,
Combined meeting of Southern and
Mid-Western Association of Forensic Sciences,
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
FBI SEM/GSR Seminar, FBI
Academy, Quantico, Virginia, Opening Speaker
Northwest Association of Forensic
Science meeting of Anchorage, Alaska.
- Gunshot Residue analysis for the
West Virginia State Police Laboratory for fifteen years.
- Developed a GSR analysis program
by scanning electron microscopy including a state-wide
program developing a GSR collection.
- Court testimony regarding GSR
deposition in shooting cases for fifteen years.
- Retired from West Virginia State
Police December, 1992 and began forensic work on a private basis.
- Worked during 1993 and 1994 in
the West Virginia State Police Lab performing gunshot
- Joined forces with CamScan
USA in Pittsburgh to provide GSR analyses on a private
- Continued GSR analysis, Crime
scene examinations and expert testimony for attorneys from time of
retirement until present. Have worked for many attorneys, police
departments and insurance companies in several states.
- Analysis of samples by Scanning Electron
Microscopy/Energy Dispersive X-Ray analysis
(SEM / EDX).
- Examination of items collected from crime scenes,
hands and face of subjects, clothing of
subjects, gloves worn or from areas near a discharging gun.
- Will travel to crime scene to collect samples.
- Will test fire guns and collect samples for
- Re-examination of samples collected and / or
analyzed by a state laboratory or others.
- Will perform examination of any type of
- Collection kit recommended is RS White designed
kit from Kinderprint #4-0324-RW,
Kinderprint's telephone number is: 1-800-227-6020.
- Analysis of acid swab samples to be tested by
- Review of other laboratory reports and SEM/EDX
- Provide a written report of GSR finding and
- Assist attorneys in trial preparation and
questioning of witnesses.
- Provide consultation, analysis and Expert
Testimony regarding all aspects of Gunshot Residue.